Lismore

Little Local Stories of Lismore

The Lismore Food Company is based in the beautiful and historic town of Lismore, on the River Blackwater in the south of Ireland. On the packaging of many of our products, you will find #Lismore where we tell many interesting stories about our town, people that have visited, and the extraordinary landscape and architecture.

Here are some examples:

 The name Lismore comes from two Irish words – Lios meaning fort and Mor meaning big! A great Irish fort sits just to the east of the town.

 

 In 1904 King Edward and Queen Alexandra arrived in Lismore – by train!

 

 The Victorian novelist and Vanity Fair author William Thackeray described Lismore as ‘some of the most beautiful rich country ever seen’.

 

 Lismore, now a small town, was in the 7th & 8th centuries a city!

 

 The enigmatic dance duo and Lismore regulars Fred & Adele Astaire often danced their way along the town’s Main Street.

 

 A serpent ‘in a figure of eight’ is the family crest of the Dukes of Devonshire, who have resided at Lismore Castle since the 1700’s.

 

 Lismore is at the foothills of the Knockmealdown Mountains with its peak ‘Sugarloaf Hill’ stretching to 663m.

 

 The iconic monk and scholar St Carthage founded a Monastery here in 635AD after which Lismore became the greatest seat of learning in all of Europe.

 

 The Cotton Library in the towns Cathedral was built in 1851 and houses ancient manuscripts and books while in 1910 the Lismore Public Library was erected with funds from the Scottish – American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

 

 The great River Blackwater flows through Lismore. Along its banks are dozens of extraordinary old country houses reflecting an historic past.

 

 Lismore Castle, built by King John in 1185, was once home to the great scientist Robert Boyle and the Elizabethan adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh (who reputedly brought the potato to Ireland!).

 

 Twenty three calendared saints are buried beneath Lismore’s Saint Carthage’s Cathedral!

 

 In 1814 a 12th century decorative processional cross (the Lismore Crozier) and a 15th century manuscript containing the lives of the saints (the Book of Lismore) were found hidden in the Castle walls.

 

 The architect Augustus Pugin designed much of the interior and furnishings at Lismore Castle, including a chandelier in the Pugin Hall – a copy of which hangs in the Houses of Parliament in London.

 

 Dervla Murphy, the great travel writer, was born in Lismore in 1931 – from where she started her extraordinary journeys around the world!

 

 On St. Patricks Day in 1942, circus master Peter Piper died in Lismore. The clowns, trapeze artistes and performers, in full costume and colour, together with their circus animals led the procession to bury the great showman. On his headstone are the words ‘Just a Song at Twilight’ and notes from his favourite song!

 

 In 1821 John Huddy, the postmaster of Lismore, for a wager travelled some seventeen miles to Fermoy in an oyster tub drawn by a pig, a badger, two cats, a goose and a hedgehog. On his head he wore a large red night cap and held a pig-drivers whip in one hand and a cow’s horn in the other!

The Lismore Food Company, The Summerhouse, Main Street, Lismore, Co. Waterford, Ireland. P51 V9HX